Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Bongo Shows up in "The Simpsons"

One of the great pleasures in the alt-weekly liberal newspapers are the comics, things like "This Modern World" and "Trouble Town", and one of my favorites, the cynical and scarily brilliant "Life in Hell", from Matt Groening.

"Life in Hell", or rather a single comic given as a gift to James L. Brooks, prompted that producer to give Matt Groening a meeting, the results of which are well known by now.

Bongo is the single-eared son of Binky, the main character of "Life in Hell". He has been the star of two of my favorite single panels ever (I took these pictures from my Big Book of Hell).



So, when I was watching an episode of The Simpsons one morning while lately being on the mend, I was excited to see Bongo sitting in the front row of a studio audience during an Itchy and Scratchy segment.


This is from the "Bart After Dark" episode, when Bart gets a job working at the burlesque house. That show has one of my favorite lines, uttered by Bart, upon believing the Maison Derriere was inhabited by witches: "Lady, I've been grossly misinformed about witches."

No comments:

Post a Comment